Thursday 18 April 2013

Thrifty Thursday: Free Ways To Guarantee A Good Night's Sleep

We all know sleep is important: Most of us wish we had time for a lot more of it! Yet ever since the rise of social media and since our lives are becoming busier and busier, a fair few of us struggle to get the recommended 8 hours every night! Just a few small, FREE changes can aid the sleep quality in your life. Can you do it?!

1) De-clutter your room, de-clutter your mind
It may seem simple but those with a tidier room have a clearer mind which means they're able to switch off quicker at night! Instead of stressing out trying to find my cleanser and then scrabbling around looking for a clean pair of fluffy socks, I'm in bed unwinding already!

2) Lose yourself in a good book
Removing yourself from all the thoughts of your reality, pick up your book and get lost for at least 30 minutes before you try to sleep. The main cause of sleep deprivation is the inability to close off from to-do lists, daily stresses and every day strains. I'm reading Croissants and Jam by Lynda Renham and it's the perfect brief escape to help me dose off!

3) Drink a milky drink before bed
Milk contains melatonin which is the helpful stuff apparently! Not only is it proven to prevent bone decay, balance the chemicals, postpone ageing and aid the prevention of cancer, it has also been used as a Pre-bedtime drink since way back in the day! Mother has a milky coffee before bed every single night, my grandad has hot cocoa and my nan usually has tea! My tipple of choice is an Options Hot Chocolate in either Vanilla, Banana or Coconut flavour!

4) Take work outside
Your room is supposed to be your escape, the one place you can go for ultimate privacy and down time. If you've spent all day in there working on that presentation, article, spreadsheet or whatever it is that you're doing, when it comes to shutting off and going to bed, you're not leaving it behind anywhere! It's like trying to kip in the office.

5) Ban social media from the bedroom!
I could be feeling the sleepiest I've ever felt, then I quickly log onto Twitter to 'check' my feed. Instantly I'm involved in a string of retweets, a live web chat, multiple trending posts... I just can't help myself. Before I know it it's an hour later and I'm getting 7 hours instead of 8 hours sleep! No more 'checking' the feeds before bed!




Photo Sources:
http://reddphoenix78.deviantart.com/art/Tidy-Room-Tidy-Mind-314465070

http://www.sainsburysentertainment.co.uk/en/Books/Paperback/Lynda-Renham/Croissants-and-Jam-A-Romantic-Comedy/product.html?product=E11148522

http://mind-power-book.com/blog/Hot-Chocolate-Bed-Time-Drink-or-Disturbed-Sleep

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/health/body/healthy-toolkit/cell-phone-health-risks/?page=4





No comments:

Post a Comment